Well if I’m going to be perfectly honest, I’m always looking for new ways to get more green veggies into my kids, as well as myself! Unfortunately, my kids don’t jump at the chance to eat a bowl of spinach, so I’m usually putting it in things like smoothies and dinners to get it in where I can.
These spinach muffins are the best disguise yet, as aside from the green color, you don’t taste the spinach as there’s a lot in there. In the recipe I use 2 cups packed….and I mean packed very firmly. So when it was loose in my Blentec, it was close to 3/4 filled with spinach. I used the Organicgirl baby spinach which I picked up at my local Walmart. Baby spinach is a little more tender and sweet than the larger spinach leaves. I also love that their greens are also triple washed, so I just threw them right in. If you spinach isn’t pre-washed, be sure to rinse it well and dry it very well too as we don’t want to add a bunch of water to the recipe.
I don’t recommend using frozen spinach in this recipe. Fresh is easier anyway, and with frozen, it tends to contain a lot of water, and has a stronger spinach taste, so it might not work as well in this particular recipe. These muffins are perfect to cart around as snacks and great in school lunches. There is also no dairy or nuts in these! If you need them to be egg-free, I recommend swapping the eggs for chia seeds. Just mix 2 Tbsp chia seeds with 4 Tbsp water. Set it aside and allow it to set, then add it to the recipe.
For the kids, I prefer to call them “green muffins”, so they don’t catch wind of all the spinach in there! I sorta missed the boat getting this recipe out for St. Patrick’s Day as its so festive, but hey, its never a bad time to eat your greens as they’re so good for us!
This was Clara eating muffin #2. She ate 3 muffins within 30 minutes of them coming out of the oven! I’d call them pretty darn popular! My hubby loved them too and said he couldn’t taste spinach at all either. Hope you give them a try soon!
Author: Kristine Fretwell
Recipe type: Snack
- 2 cups packed fresh spinach (I used Organicgirl baby spinach)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup stevia for baking (I used NuNaturals MoreFiber. Could also use xylitol. Or even honey, or cane sugar but nutrition will change)
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil, melted (or your favorite healthy oil or melted butter)
- 2 cups oat flour (gluten-free mix also works, or all purpose if you’re not gluten-free)
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F
- In a blender or food processor, blend together the raw spinach, eggs, vanilla and coconut oil. Blend until smooth.
- In another bowl, mix together the oat flour, stevia, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Pour in the spinach mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Place equally among your muffin tins. I used Reynolds non-stick liners. Silicone and parchment liners also work great.
- Bake for 11-12 minutes until they can be touched without sinking and/or a toothpick comes clean.
Serving size: 1 muffin Calories: 115 Fat: 5.7 g Saturated fat: 3.5 g Carbs: 15 g Sugar: 0.2 g Sodium: 280 mg Fiber: 3.7 g Protein: 3.3 g Cholesterol: 31 mg
I love when I can partner up with great brands to offer a giveaway. I love to share the love 🙂
Organicgirl is giving away AN ENTIRE YEARS WORTH OF GREENS! Wowsers! That’s free greens every week for a whole year! That’s a prize worth over $350.00!!! (1) Winner will receive (52) product coupons for Organicgirl greens! Can be redeemed at any store that carries Organicgirl. (in Canada, I get mine at Wal Mart). Contest open to Canada/USA residents.
ENTER BELOW USING RAFFLECOPTER
If for some reason the widget below isn’t showing for you, enter by adding a comment below the post.
Not only do they have spinach, they carry a boat load of other types of greens, and combinations.
Here’s a list of the product line. Get all the details from their website.
good clean greens
100% baby kale
baby spinach & arugula
baby spring mix
fresh herbs & greens
i heart baby kale
hearts of romaine
romaine heart leaves
Happy baking and good luck in the contest!